Auditions for both new and returning players for the 2017-18 season will be held on Sunday, August 20, beginning at 10:00 a.m. at the UCSC Music Center. Please read the information below and fill out our audition form so we can schedule your audition!
Players may also audition mid-season, with the Music Director’s approval.
Chamber Music Academy Auditions
- Strong musical skills and good attitude are the primary requirements for admission to the symphony; these factors are more important than an applicant’s age or how long they have played an instrument.
- Applicants must be 20 years old or younger, and must be prepared to make a sincere commitment to full rehearsal and concert participation.
- Participants must be currently taking private lessons on their orchestra instrument. It is essential that musicians receive this guidance throughout the year.
Double reeds and brass strongly encouraged to apply.
Musicians auditioning for the Santa Cruz County Youth Symphony should be prepared to perform the following:
- Major scales of three octaves for strings and two octaves for winds. Scales will be selected from keys up to two sharps and flats, and will be selected by instrument to be in appropriate and idiomatic ranges for student players.
- A prepared piece or etude of approximately three minutes in length. Please bring in a photocopy of the piece for the judges.
- One or two short excerpts from music that is part of the fall set. Find your excerpts here. Print them out, practice them, and bring the printouts with you to your audition.
- Sight reading of one or more short musical segments selected by the conductor.
To schedule an audition, please click the link and fill out our audition form!